Lava Octopus 550 kernel crash

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 05:56:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Seann Clark <nombrandue at tsukinokage.net> wrote:
> All,
>
> This is my first post to the list, but the short of the story is, I got a
> lava octopus 550 (since it does work in linux) and I have been having
> problems with it, namely it only shows 4/10 total serial ports (two
> onboard Intel, 8 on the PCI based Octopus 550) and even after working
> across a few of the sites (Lava's how to, a few different setserial sites,
> and so forth) and I don't know who to run this past, since it looks like a
> problem, either on my side or not. I am including as much information as I
> can think of for this.
>
> O/S Fedora 9 x86_64
> dual Intel quad core  E5430

Hi Seann Clark,

Serial ports have an interesting way of taking up a lot of time.  Oh well.

I would need to look into this much further, I hope someone with
current experiance can chime in.

Have you recompiled the kernel to allow it to see your additional
ports (see link)? :

http://www.support.lavalink.com/index.php?id=471

I am suspicious that you have since I see this from your lspci:

0e:01.0 Serial controller: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Octo A (rev 03)
(prog-if 02 [16550])
       Subsystem: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Octo A
       Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 16
       I/O ports at 4418 [size=8]
       I/O ports at 4410 [size=8]
       I/O ports at 4408 [size=8]
       I/O ports at 4400 [size=8]
       Kernel driver in use: serial

0e:01.1 Serial controller: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Octo B (rev 03)
(prog-if 02 [16550])
       Subsystem: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Octo B
       Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 16
       I/O ports at 4438 [size=8]
       I/O ports at 4430 [size=8]
       I/O ports at 4428 [size=8]
       I/O ports at 4420 [size=8]
       Kernel driver in use: serial

And I assume you have placed the small script in your
/etc/rc.d/rc.local as suggested in the above article.

If I were you I would look into how to move the interrupt used and
perhaps spread them out a bit (use differant interrupts for each of
the two ports).

Good Hunting!

Tod