modprobe & blacklist

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 08:43:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Tod Merley <todbot88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 5:32 AM, john f jarvis <johnfjarvis at knology.net> wrote:
>> To use gpsbabel with my Garmin Venture Hc gps receiver I must
>> first remove the FC9 builtin garmin_gps usb module.
>> As su this works: /sbin/rmmod garmin_gps
>>
>> My question: How can I use the blacklist feature of modprobe
>> to do this automatically? Adding the line: blacklist garmin_gps
>> to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and/or modprobe.conf.dist
>> doesn't work.
>>        Thanks, John Jarvis
>>
>> --
>>

> Hi John Jarvis!
>
> I would look carefully at the output of lsmod before and after the use
> of rmmod.  Likey there is another "companion" module you need to
> blacklist to make this work.  To make one of my wireless modems work
> for example I neede to blacklist oronco and oronco_cs to get the job
> done.
>
> Good Hunting!
>
> Tod

Hi Again John Jarvis!

I just noticed that Ubuntu has the garmin_gps blacklisted normally -
very much as you wrote.

I would check your typing, and the ownership and permissions of your
edited file (hopefully you did a permissions saving copy before you
edited the blacklist file.

I see no reason blacklisting would not work with a proper edit of the
blacklist file.

Good Hunting!

Tod