Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

jeff moe moe at blagblagblag.org
Tue Jul 15 16:43:25 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler <at> chello.at> writes:

> Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 <at> yahoo.com> writes:
> > A Because Fedora includes Firmware and those guys don't.
>
> Bullsh*t!
>
> BLAG 70000 ships:
[gmane tells me to prune]

I am the maintainer of BLAG and I basically agree with what you've said above.

The 70000 release was done before linux-libre was done. Moving forward we've
removed all the non-free bits we can find.

BLAG "always" has updated releases, but they are just called "alpha" or "beta"
and used by the BLAG community though they weren't linked on the front page. We
do have updated releases--oftentimes I have releases ready based on fedora
testing even before fedora has done their final release. The repositories are
set up before fedora releases their stable version too.

http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Roadmap

Last night, I pushed out 90000, based on Fedora 9, so it is now linked on our
front page. I will be doing more "release early often" of 'stable' releases to
address your legitimate concerns.

As for the DNS issue, it compels me to make a confession of a sin against Free
Software. I've been running djbdns the whole decade, not BIND! Thankfully,
djbdns is now in the public domain.  :)

Thanks,

-Jeff

P.S. I'm posting via gmane since i'm not on this list, and the turing-test word
is "subverts" jejeje.