Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Jul 15 20:25:26 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:

> Personally, I think the demand by Stallman, and others to call Linux
> 'GNU/Linux' is just stupid and childish.

It isn't.  Stallman's concern is for our Freedom to use the computers
that we purchase for our own ends and needs, rather than as dictated to
us by someone else.  Linus has repeatedly shown that he doesn't care
about that Freedom, and RMS would be a fool to step aside and let Linus
act as a steward for it.

I wholeheartedly agree with Alexandre's assessment, but I tend to
describe my own reasoning much more tersely:

GNU/Linux is an operating system.  It implements the interfaces
described by POSIX.  Applications written to conform to that standard
will build and run on GNU/Linux.

Linux is a kernel.  It implements no documented standard (and maintains
a policy against stable interfaces).  Applications do not run on Linux.