Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

John Burton j.c.burton at gats-inc.com
Wed Jul 16 14:12:19 UTC 2008

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>> But it is equally ridiculous either way, when 80+% is neither GNU nor
>> Linux code.  Calling it an xwindow system would make more sense.  Or
>> perhaps a firefox/thunderbird/openoffice.org system - with most of
>> the other parts interchangeable.
>
> If you're talking about a distribution, then I suppose it's fine.
> When you refer to the *operating system*, though, that's a different
> story. GNU/Linux is an operating system.  It implements a defined
> operating system interface.  Linux, by itself, is not an operating
> system.

A typical O/S (GNU/Linux included) is like an onion - lots and lots of
layers, with each layer built / depending upon the previous layer. Some
examples (in no particular order):
o hardware drivers
o hardware abstraction layer
o file systems
o compiler suites
o libraries
o networking utilities
o shells
o GUIs
o security
o etc

Some, not all, are provide by FSF. What specifically causes "linux" to
be considered "GNU/Linux" ? I use alot of GNU utilities & libraries on
Solaris & AIX systems, does that make them GNU/Solaris or GNU/AIX
systems?  I even use the GNU compiler suite on these systems, does
*that* make them GNU/AIX or GNU/Solaris? Is it the fact that the kernel
is compiled by GCC that makes it GNU/Linux ? What is the distinction
that makes people claim "GNU/Linux" and not GNU/AIX or GNU/Solaris. How
about BSD? wasn't BSD UNIX for big iron around before FSF got it's
start? Didn't BSD have a fairly complete system *before* GNU tools
started being widespread?  What is the distinction that makes people
claim "GNU/BSD"?

Note: I'm not arguing here, I just want to know the specific
distinctions between GNU and non-GNU O/Ss...

John