major problem after enabling desktop effects (F9)...

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 16 21:03:57 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 21:24:32 Mike Chalmers wrote:
> > Ditto.  However, just about a week ago a routine update installed
> > xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-2.fc9.i386.  This is the package that is
> > suspected of being the cause of the problem.  Do you have that one?
> >
> > Desktop effects - try System Settings > Desktop and uncheck 'Enable
> > desktop effects'.  These are not compiz-type effects, but things you can
> > easily live without until things get fixed.  HTH
> >
> > Anne
> >
> > --
>
> I do not know if I have the package,
> xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.3.2-2.fc9.i386, installed, and I do not know how
> to check? I would go to system settings but as I said all I have is a
> mouse pointer and a black screen after the splash screen goes away.

Sorry, Mike.  I didn't realise that you hadn't got past that stage.

At bootup, as soon as you see the 'Booting Fedora in x seconds...' hit any
key.  That will bring up a screen with the kernels you have installed listed.
Unless you have any reason not to, you should edit the top one.  'e' brings
up edit mode.  (I'm working from memory, so I could be out on detail, but
you'll be able to follow with the aid of the  prompts that are on screen.)

This screen shows the bootup command, split into three lines.  Move to the end
of the second line and put a '3' there.  Hitting 'b' will then boot from that
prompt, giving you a one-off text-console boot.  Log in as yourself, then

mv ~/.kde ~/.kde.sav
reboot

This time you should get your graphical login and you will have a new ~/.kde.
You can copy mail settings and anything else you need back from the saved
folder.  You'll find things in ~/.kde.sav/share/apps and
~/.kde.sav/share/config.

To find out whether you have the video package, open konsole and type

rpm -qa  xorg-x11-drv

If nothing returns you haven't got it installed.  If it is installed it will
give you the full version.

Anne