hp-toolbox and refilled cartridges ??

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Jul 17 00:34:26 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> Sorry for the number of posts lately.  I am trying to work my way
> through F9 fixing and tweaking all the little issues that have been
> around on my machine for the last 2 - 3 Fedora versions.  I am almost
> finished.
>
> I recently had my HP #74 refilled rather than purchasing a new one.  It
> works fine but hp-toolbox (and the WindowsXP gui thingie) continues to
> tell me that the black cartridge is still "very low".
>
> Does HP have some secret little way of telling I am using a refill and
> therefore refuses to acknowledge it?

Yes, they do.  The circuitry to detect low levels is on the cartridge itself
and it locks at the lowest reading.  A long time ago a friend of mine found
some software on the net to reset Epson cartridges.  You may have to go
looking for the same magic for HP.

--
Anger is momentary madness.
		-- Horace