that old GNU/Linux argument

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 02:45:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 23:33 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I can't help but point out that your
> > definition of "operating system" does not include GNU, since GNU does
> > not have a kernel.
>
> Ever heard of the Hurd?

Ever since it was first mooted. Has anyone ever seen one? Are there any
in production use anywhere in the world?

However that's not my point. You can't claim that GNU={libraries+apps}
and also GNU={libraries+apps+kernel}. In this discussion even the
pro-GNU people are using the first definition, not the second.

poc