F9: Installing Ndiswrapper for AWLL6070 (rt2870)

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Jul 17 02:58:55 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 09:12 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > got as far as getting the client to see the Access-points from the
> > neighborhood which was awesome, but failed to set the ESSID in order
> > to connect to my Access point.
>
> Granted that you probably also have other problems, but are you making
> things more difficult for yourself by setting your access point to not
> broadcast its SSID?

Say what?  My Access point device IS broadcasting!  Under
the Ralink Technology scenario, ie compiling the source,
and installing the rt2870sta.ko, comfiguring, etc, the problem
is that using iwconfig fails to set the ESSID.  I cannot think
of any other way to configure the USB device!  It does not
even appear in the 'Network Configuration' tool under the
'Wireless' selection.  Albeit, the nice thing is, that using
iwconfig ra0 does not HANG the system completely
unlike using Ndiswrapper.  Heck, leaving the WXPx86
drivers in the /etc/ndiswrapper/rt2870 directory causes
*severe* system instability that I was forced to  issue an
ndiswrapper -r rt2870.  I thought it was new new kernel
but I retracted it once I discovered this fact. I have also
posted my issue on the Ndiswrapper forum and pray that
someone could help me out.  It's been a frigging nightmare
so far.

> Hiding it doesn't make a network more secure, at all.  But hiding it
> does make it a bit more difficult for you to associate with the right
> access point.

I didn't hide the broadcast if that is what you are saying...

> It's like taking all the labels off your tinned food.  You can still get
> into each tin, but you've got to sample them all to find the right one.

Yeah, I know that - like shooting at tin-cans in the dark! ;)

Dan