GNOME panels misbehaving

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 17 03:41:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 20:34 -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
> I just installed F9[*] and I am experiencing some weird behavior: I
> like to swap GNOME panels, leaving the one with the window list applet
> at the top, and the one with the menu at the bottom. It works fine
> while my session is running, but if I log out and then back in, the
> panel with the menu (which should be at the bottom) is stuck at the
> top, right below the other (that should indeed be at the top). If I
> try to change its position to "bottom", it simply refuses and stays
> there...

How are you re-arranging them?  Dragging them about, or right-clicking
on a panel, opening the properties, and picking the top/bottom/sides
options?

> [*] BTW: I simply *hated* the new GDM -- the background is horrendous,
> and I don't like the user chooser panel.

Can't say I like it, either.  The background's easily replaceable, but
the rest isn't so easy to deal with.  I'd rather just type in username
and password, than have a list of things showing that I don't want
showing (imagine the mess if you had hundreds of users).  It's also nuts
at inconsistently default selecting different users, so even a re-login
of the same user has to cursor arround.  And the slowness between
picking a user before it lets you type in a password means that touch
typists have started typing their password before the gadget is
accepting input.

I tried replacing it with XDM, but that doesn't set up something that
Gnome needs.  I haven't tried replacing it with KDM, I didn't want to go
down the root of installing KDE, even if only partially.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.