Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Thu Jul 17 16:27:38 UTC 2008

John Burton wrote:
> Okay, here are a couple of questions I haven't seen answered. There are
> several "license" schemes put forth for Open Source software. GPL and
> BSD are two that come to mind immediately. The purpose of "open source"
> is to counter the traditional closed source model of software.

I'm sure that everyone who develops Free Software has their own ideas
about what the purpose of that software is.

Personally, I believe that the purpose of Free Software is not
anti-closed-source but rather pro-users.  As I enjoy the liberty to use
my computers according to my own needs and desires, I believe that my
customers should have the same liberty.

> o Which OSS license scheme does the best job of promoting "cooperation"
> and reuse of the software? why?

There is no way to answer that question without a great deal of
speculation.  No answer can be proven correct.  Bear that in mind when
you read advocacy, because virtually all answers that you're given will
fall into that category.  Especially if the person responding believes
that he *knows* the answer.

> o Programmers live in the real world. They have to do mundane things
> like pay rent/mortgages, pay bills (heat, gas, internet connection,
> etc). Which OSS license scheme does the best job of supporting the
> programmer ? (if the programmer has to spend 1/2 their time fund-raising
> to support their programming, then is it worthwhile?) Why?

I live in the real world.  I provide consulting, support, and
application development to my customers.  Most of the consulting and
support is based on Free Software.  When I develop software, it is a
work for hire owned by my customer.  I encourage them to license the
software under GPL, as other customers of mine have done and point out
that it has greatly reduced their costs.  No one has ever decided
otherwise, and I've never had a problem paying my bills.  I also develop
software in expectation of customers needs and charge them for the
installation and support.