Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 04:04:49 UTC 2008

ZFS was included in FreeBSD 7.0 because the BSD license is more free than the GPL with that regard.

> ZFS has patents and nobody wants to take the risk
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/8066
>
> ZFS (if and when someone ports it to Linux) might still be
> able to live
> a life like AFS does as a third party kernel module which
> would not get
> merged in the upstream kernel. Meanwhile, I would be
> betting on btrfs (
> http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page) to get
> mature and
> merged in as a alternative with similar features.
> --

There are many pages where Linus is taken into account

Also here is another page with related issues

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6061491.html

Linus said that all of these things are in a "gray area"
<quote>
THAT is a gray area, and _that_ is the area where I personally believe
 that some modules may be considered to not be derived works simply because
 they weren't designed for Linux and don't depend on any special Linux
 behaviour.
</quote>
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0312.0/0670.html

On a somewhat related note to kernel.org,

will aufs be incorporated into the kernel?

http://lwn.net/Articles/283279/

and squashfs + lzma compression also

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Squashfs_Aiming_For_Mainline_Kernel

These things would help tremendously in the creation of livecd's and have other uses as well.

Regards,

Antonio