Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 17:47:03 UTC 2008

inode0 wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> inode0 wrote:
>>> For a list of dozens of examples showing this statement to be utterly
>>> wrong see
>>>
>>> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
>> The statement is not wrong - the reason a few that are listed as compatible
>> is that the permit themselves to be replaced by the GPL. When combined in a
>> work with GPL components any other attributes of the original licenses no
>> longer apply.
>
> This is amazing logic. If a few *dozen* examples contradicting your
> claim that everything that is not the GPL is incompatible with the GPL
> doesn't convince you then nothing can.

Please explain how a work containing any GPL'd material can contain any
that is not covered by the GPL, given the 'work as a whole' provision in
the license.   While there are indeed licenses that permit their own
terms to be replaced by the GPL when used in this way, that means the
terms _become_ the GPL, not that different terms are or can be, by
design, compatible.

> You seem to really have a beef with copyleft and that is fine.

I have a beef with representing restrictions as freedom.

> Some
> people value freedom for developers more than freedom for users.

Restrictions have nothing to do with freedom no matter how you spin it.

> And
> they tend to use licenses that grant as much freedom to developers as
> they desire. Others prefer to assure freedom for users and they tend
> to favor copyleft licenses like the GPL. It is an honest difference of
> opinion but there really isn't anything furthered by misrepresenting
> what the other side stands for.

So drop the misrepresentation and make the license enumerate all of the
things it prohibits instead of hand-waving about freedom while in fact
preventing most of the possible ways of re-using the code.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com