that old GNU/Linux argument

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 18:41:01 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Kevin J. Cummings
<cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> It is GNU/Linux.  Should this be tried with Ubuntu, Suse, Gentoo, ...,
>> etc?
>
> Let's see:
>
> rpm -qf `which uname`
> coreutils-6.10-27.fc9.x86_64
>
> and of course rpmq -i coreutils:
>>
>> Name        : coreutils                    Relocations: (not relocatable)
>> Version     : 6.10                              Vendor: Fedora Project
>> Release     : 27.fc9                        Build Date: Fri 04 Jul 2008
>> 12:37:00 PM EDT
>> Install Date: Wed 09 Jul 2008 02:15:25 PM EDT      Build Host: x86-5
>> Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
>> coreutils-6.10-27.fc9.src.rpm
>> Size        : 11290040                         License: GPLv3+
>> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 08 Jul 2008 11:23:50 AM EDT, Key ID
>> b44269d04f2a6fd2
>> Packager    : Fedora Project
>> URL         : http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
>> Summary     : The GNU core utilities: a set of tools commonly used in
>> shell scripts
>> Description :
>> These are the GNU core utilities.  This package is the combination of
>> the old GNU fileutils, sh-utils, and textutils packages.
>
> So, you want to use a GNU utility to "prove" that the OS is GNU/Linux?
> Sounds rather like GNU made an assertion and is using that assertion as a
> proof.

It is no different than my running a program provided as part of OSF1
and believing it when it tells me that the operating system is OSF1.

> BTW, I wouldn't have expected a package of GNU utilities to say anything
> else.

Not exactly my point. Fedora chooses to release an operating system
that asserts itself to be GNU/Linux. I think people who want to assert
that it isn't GNU/Linux are the ones who need to provide proof of that
claim.

John