Fedora Crash...

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 22:00:45 UTC 2008

2008/7/19 Ankur Raheja <ankurraheja at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
> My Fedora 6 has crashed... the system hangs up at the start of Interactive
> Startup Screen.
> Without Interactive screen.... following error appears :
> "      /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 819: 1339 segmentation fault rm -f
> $afile/*    "
>
> Further, the Fedora 6 or even F8 CD in the CD Rom is not being recognized so
> unable to rescue ???
> Though, CD-Rom is fine and boots Windows 2000 CD but not a linux CD.
>
> Any solutions ???
>
> Regards,
>
> Ankur Raheja
> B.com (H) ACS LLB MCA OCA Cylaws
>
> Advocate - IT & Cyber Law
> Delhi High Court
> --

Hi  Ankur Raheja!

Sounds like a hardware problem.

0. Listen and watch during the boot process for beeps or messages.
Beep codes and messages may well tell the story.  Google "POST beep
codes Your Bios OR Motherboard Manufacturer (Make and Model)".

1. Attempt to boot into your system as normal except go into CMOS
during the boot process.  There check epically the that the amount of
memory has not changed and also reset to the factory default values
for all settings (usually one operation).  Often the CMOS battery gets
old and the system becomes flaky.  By resetting to the defaults you
can often clean out bad bits that may be in the CMOS due to a low
battery.  If this cures replace the CMOS battery.

2. If no joy so far then obtain a memory test program and run it
(Puppy Linux and Ubuntu have this and many more as well).

3. Perhaps time to send the box to the shop.  If you are technically
inclined then check cabling and connectors to see that they are
properly run and set in the hardware.  Note epically any connections
which look to be under stress or connectors pulling apart.  If
hardware is dirty it is time to clean.   Make sure that the CD and HD
are properly selected on their respective IDE bus to boot.

Good Hunting!

Tod