that old GNU/Linux argument

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jul 19 22:17:32 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 23:59 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Carroll Grigsby wrote:
>
> > Back in the day when I was on dialup, I used
> > www.cheapbytes.com; their service was prompt and their quality was
> > excellent.
>
> So did I, so did we all.
> But that was a long time ago.
> Surely now everyone is on broadband
> with Terabyte disks that can hold 20 different OS's?
>
> Just to repeat my original comment.
> How can anyone write a 20-page document on Hurd
> without ever saying, "Download a working version from here"?
----
I suspect there is a reason that few are interested in running Hurd
----

> Does anyone actually compile anything today?
> Apart from developers, of course.
----
you can install Gentoo and compile/emerge to your heart's content

unless you are actually auditing the source code before you compile, I'm
not sure that there's much of difference between installing pre-compiled
binaries and compiling everything you install except for the time, disk
space and energy to do it.
----
> I know FreeBSD-ers specialize in compiling everything every day,
> but they are strange people.
----
yeah, unlike the ultra-normal Linux people who endlessly debate
licensing

Craig