What is the point of the NM keyring?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Jul 21 00:05:34 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>> But what is the point of having large numbers of passwords,
>> if one password will open all the locks?
>>
> So if your password on one system gets compromised, it does not
> compromise your password on other systems.

OK, that seems a valid point, but does not actually apply to me,
as all the passwords in question in my case are on one computer.

> And your keyring password is less likely to get compromised
> because it normally does not travel over the Internet.

I guess that is also a valid point, though not very applicable
in my case, I think.

> You also do not
> have to try and remember all the different passwords, so you will
> hopefully not use the same password for everything.

That I don't understand.
Surely if I forget a password it ceases to be of much value to me?
I guess I could write them all down and keep them at home.

Incidentally, I would not trust KDE wallet with any vital,
eg financial, information, as I do not know how it works.
I prefer to use some encryption method I can understand.

Anyway, thanks for your explication.
You have convinced me (just) that KDE wallet is a useful tool.

I still find the keyring used by NM a pointless nuisance, though.
I just want to get connected without any action on my part.