that old GNU/Linux argument

Björn Persson listor3.rombobeorn at tdcpost.se
Mon Jul 21 01:36:59 UTC 2008

Ric Moore wrote:
> I just took a peek at it. Crufty comes to mind. And, it took over ten
> years to do what Linus did over 10 years ago. <sighs> Ric

It's not really quite the same work. Linux is a monolithic kernel. It didn't
even have modules in its early days. The Hurd is a set of daemons around a
microkernel. It's a more advanced architecture so it should be expected to
take longer to write. Even so, the FSF apparently ran into some kind of
problems so that it took much longer than they expected.

Björn Persson