that old GNU/Linux argument

Björn Persson listor3.rombobeorn at tdcpost.se
Mon Jul 21 03:38:54 UTC 2008

I wrote:
> So far I haven't seen a pro-GNU/Linux person describe what GNU/Linux is and
> what it isn't. It would be interesting to see whether they include the
> kitchen sink in GNU/Linux.

Correction: Alexandre Oliva has said that "an operating system is a kernel
plus a bunch of userland libraries and programs that users and other
applications generally rely on" and that GNU is an example of an operating
system. I can't believe I forgot that.

It's a bit vague, but clearly a whole lot less than all of Fedora or Debian.
It could be taken to mean just a kernel and the GNU command line tools, or it
could include X and Gnome too.

Björn Persson