What is the point of the NM keyring?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 21 04:28:36 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 19:00 -0300, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> It's better to use distinct passwords for most important things.

Most definitely.  And, in many cases, it's impossible to use the same
password for everything, as they have different rules.

Some daft ones only let you use passwords six to eight characters long,
other more sensible ones insist on something longer...

Of course, it does get a pain having to remember dozens of passwords for
different services, and that's where these password storage gadgets come
into their own.  You use one password to authorise use of your password
store, and it provides the right password to the service that you want
to use, getting your computer to do the grunt work for you.  You should,
also, have some backup, so *you* know your passwords, and can access
things without the password storage service.

I'm not sure why you'd object to it.  Do you also refuse to let programs
store passwords?  Do you type in your ISP access password each time you
connect to the internet?  Do you type in your POP/IMAP password each
time you read your email?  Do you type in your IM passwords each time
you start up pidgin/aim/skype/whatever...?

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.