Fedora 9 and VMWare Server

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Mon Jul 21 04:36:17 UTC 2008

On Sun July 20 2008, Alex Katebi wrote:
> http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/
>
> Install the vmware tools first. Then go to the above web site and download
> & install the open-vm-tools. Let me know if you have any peoblems. I have
> installed two Fedora 9 vmware tools this way. Forget the any any stuff you
> don't need that.

I found that website, but, it wasn't so self-evident. How does one 'install
the vmware tools first' as you state? I normally open a vm after I've got
vmware server running, and it boots up and gives me a message about needing to
install or update vmware tools, and that's when I install vmware tools. How
are you doing that first - or better, I should ask, what do you mean by first?
First before what? Before installing the vmware package?

Are you simply installing the open-vm-tools from the tarball?

What advantage are you gaining by doing things that way? My vm's run just fine
the way I'm doing it now - what improvement should I expect by learning the
method you suggest?

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA