Fedora 9 and VMWare Server

Alex Katebi alex.katebi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 12:42:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Claude Jones <cjones at levitjames.com>
wrote:

> On Sun July 20 2008, Alex Katebi wrote:
> > http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Install the vmware tools first. Then go to the above web site and
> download
> > & install the open-vm-tools. Let me know if you have any peoblems. I have
> > installed two Fedora 9 vmware tools this way. Forget the any any stuff
> you
> > don't need that.
>
> I found that website, but, it wasn't so self-evident. How does one 'install
> the vmware tools first' as you state? I normally open a vm after I've got
> vmware server running, and it boots up and gives me a message about needing
> install or update vmware tools, and that's when I install vmware tools. How
> are you doing that first - or better, I should ask, what do you mean by
> first?
> First before what? Before installing the vmware package?

Before booting your guest Fedora make sure that your vmware cd drive is not
pointing to an iso image. After booting install the vmeare tools as you
said. Then untar & unzip the vmeare tools.

> Are you simply installing the open-vm-tools from the tarball?

yes

> What advantage are you gaining by doing things that way? My vm's run just
> fine
> the way I'm doing it now - what improvement should I expect by learning the
> method you suggest?

I thought that you were encountering errors by running the vmware tools
alone.
I was trying to help you to install vmware tools without errors.