Fedora 9 and VMWare Server

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Mon Jul 21 15:32:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 16:50 +0200, Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
> Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > Again, if there is anyone who has figured out the appropriate "magic
> > incantation" for getting VMware Server 2.0 RC1 up and running on F9,
> > lots of us here would like to know about it. Do share - I'm certain
> > people will reply with their thanks.
>
> I have VMware Server 2.0 RC1 running on my Fedora 9 system (x86_64) with
> a single Windows XP client.  So what's the problem?  I can check my
> configuration to try to help out.
>
> I had VMware Server 1.0.whatever, but needed USB 2.0 support, so I
> upgraded to 2.0 beta, and later to RC1.
>
> (I will be away for the second half of this week, so if I seem
> unresponsive, that might be the reason.)

Excellent!

I'm not sure what the problem is. Everything seems to install and
compile/configure (vmware-config.pl) without issues. But then I can't
login to the Web interface at all. Closer inspection shows that several
services come up as dead. After rebooting, the startup messages show
that the system is not properly configured and about half of the
services show that they failed to start (others do start though).
Re-running vmware-config.pl shows everything re-configuring just fine
and services starting, but in reality they still show up as being dead.

I'm running the 32-bit version of F9 with this system. It's an older
due-processor Intel Xeon server that doesn't have 64-bit support.

I'm traveling this week too, so I won't be able to do anything with this
system for a few days as well... :)

If I could just get an idea of what needs to be there and what doesn't,
I'm sure that would help a lot...

Cheers,

Chris

--