policy question

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Mon Jul 21 19:10:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 00:32:01 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:
>> 	Can anybody explain to a non-technoid how the developers go about
>> deciding whether a new thing gets added to the current Fedora release,
>> or held to become part of the next?
>
> Can you explain what you mean by a "new thing"?
	[snipperoo : lots of great stuff]

	Not very well, I'm afraid. It's a disadvantage autodidacts are
always at -- worth it, but always at it. I chose a deliberately vague
term, partly because of all the things I don't know, and partly because
my thinking isn't that precise yet.

	I don't even know if there's a sharp line between an app and an
applet, or a package and a feature, for instance. Or, say, between things
yum can find, and ones it can't -- such as Konqueror, which I use under
Gnome. (I once tried not installing KDE at all, planning to install just
Konqueror and whatever it brought with it; but couldn't till a guru told
me more.)

> Do you mean a new software package or new feature or something else?

	All of those, for sure. Burning media is a good example of a job
that's gotten vastly easier for the uninitiated over the years (and
running GPS-interfacing topographic map software of one that I'm sure
will yet). I don't recall, but I'd guess, that simplifying the K3B front
end happened or could have happened during a release, but that
introducing Brasero probably came with a new release.

	I did know from one of the LUGs I follow that more than I dream
of gets added in, or sometimes obsoleted out, constantly. I've also
noticed several times that the changes accompanying a new release may be
vast  -- as replacing pirut with package-kit seems to me, and the
introduction of SELinux was to more people than just me.

	That set me wondering if there were systematic priorities such as
urgency on one hand, new convenient abilities on another, and something
else again on the gripping hand. And how it might be that new bugs find a
way into things as seemingly familiar for so long as Anaconda.

	I hope I'm making some sense. Anyway, the rest of your answer
(all that good stuff I've cut here)  will give me plenty to chew on for
quite a while. I knew, of course, that y'all'd've thought it through way
beyond me -- but not that you'd've articulated so much of it explicitly,
and even set it out in public. Many thanks!

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
nine (count 'em -- nine) different browsers