Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 22:44:10 UTC 2008

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>>> Can you back this up?  All the evidence I've got suggests the exact
>>> opposite.
>
>> I thought you had just agreed with this in another posting.
>
> No, I first said it wouldn't make sense for an author to try to
> enforce something that is permitted by the license s/he granted.
> Then, in another posting, you proposed the idea above and asked for
> confirmation, and then I responded explaining why I believe the exact
> opposite holds, and that you probably thought what you did because of
> your mistaken understanding as to how the GPL works.

Practically speaking I follow your argument that the covered work could
be treated as though explicitly dual-licensed - and kept separate.
However, I still don't see how the GPL requirements are technically
removed once you've accepted the license that applies them to any
covered component of a work.  Aren't you obligated by accepting this
license to observe its terms which explicitly extend to the work-as-a-whole?

>> Of course the original copies of works covered by less restrictive
>> licenses would remain available
>
> That's not what I'm talking about.  Please re-read the message in
> which you thought I agreed with the above, and follow up if you need
> clarification on my position.

Please do explain how you can accept a license, then subsequently ignore
the terms.  If you aren't redistributing any part under the GPL, you
might ignore the license since you don't have to accept it in that case.

>>> On both sides :-)  (for such large values of recently as 1995+ :-)
>
>> I generally don't expect the truth to vary from day to day on this
>> sort of issue, even for some moderately large number of days.
>
> And yet you get the impression that Linus' statement you cited, from
> back in 1995, changed the story in any way.

No, I always understood the fact that modules are not necessarily
derived works and they simply 'use' the system interface as permitted by
the Linux license.  Those quotes from Linux and Eben Moglen just removed
any possible doubt.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com