F9 - cups - windows shared printer

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jul 22 13:19:10 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:

> I routinely set up cups to offer print queues for users whether Linux
> (automatic discovery, automatic setup), Macintosh (via cups or via
> netatalk) and Windows (via Samba, providing APW) and cups has been a
> remarkable print server/service with very few problems.

Just a brief observation from a non-techie.
I've noticed most people who write about using CUPS with Windows machines
talk of Samba.
I've found no problem using Windows directly,
just pointing the printer under Windows to something like
http://192.168.2.2/printers/lj (in my case).

> Obviously I try to stay away from editing the cups config files by hand
> because they tend to get trampled on by cups configuration tools
> (http://localhost:631) or via system-config-printer (which finally seems
> to live in peace alongside cups configuration tools).

My impression is that CUPS has improved greatly,
and it is no longer necessary to edit the CUPS config files directly,
as it used to be until fairly recently.