F9 - cups - windows shared printer

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jul 22 12:27:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 14:19 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > I routinely set up cups to offer print queues for users whether Linux
> > (automatic discovery, automatic setup), Macintosh (via cups or via
> > netatalk) and Windows (via Samba, providing APW) and cups has been a
> > remarkable print server/service with very few problems.
>
> Just a brief observation from a non-techie.
> I've noticed most people who write about using CUPS with Windows machines
> talk of Samba.
> I've found no problem using Windows directly,
> just pointing the printer under Windows to something like
> http://192.168.2.2/printers/lj (in my case).
----
I agree though normally, I handle spooling the other way...printer
connected to Linux, Windows accessing printer via Linux. In this case,
somehow a requirement to authenticate slipped into the printer
configuration
----

> > Obviously I try to stay away from editing the cups config files by hand
> > because they tend to get trampled on by cups configuration tools
> > (http://localhost:631) or via system-config-printer (which finally seems
> > to live in peace alongside cups configuration tools).
>
> My impression is that CUPS has improved greatly,
> and it is no longer necessary to edit the CUPS config files directly,
> as it used to be until fairly recently.
----
I think that the issue was using both the cups web interface and
system-config-printer would result in broken configs and that seems to
have been fixed.

Craig