that old GNU/Linux argument

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jul 23 01:08:01 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 21:15:24 -0300,
  Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:

> Honestly, this argument is a bit misguided.  It is true that HURD's
> choice of kernel model slowed things down, but the main factor for its
> slow development since 1992 was that a Free kernel that worked with
> the GNU operating system was available.  Creating one as part of the

Do you have any evidence of that? I remember the Hurd project being announced
years before Linux (but my memeory might be a bit off, because I might not have
heard of Linux right away). I kept checking on it occasionally to see how
things were moving and about the only things I saw changing were what kernel it
was going to be based on.