Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Jul 24 10:18:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:34:44PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>>> But you must give up your freedom and rights or you are unable to
>>> participate in distributing these things as part of a work that
>>> contains any GPL-covered material.
>>
>> The "or" denounces your syllogism.  The "must" is inappropriate when
>> there's an alternative.
>
> The alternative is not sharing any GPL-encumbered code at all.  Do you
> consider that a reasonable alternative?

People have been sharing and modifying software licensed with the GNU GPL
for ages, isn't that alternative somewhat imaginary?

You seem to consider "sharing" proprietary software is sharing. I think
that's wrong since to me it is not sharing but, instead, gaining control.

Rui

--
Fnord.
Today is Setting Orange, the 59th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?