How to determine what's changed in new kernel?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Jul 24 20:48:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 13:19:20 -0700,
  Michael Hannon <jm_hannon at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Clearly, not all of these changes apply to the transition from 2.6.25.9-76 to 2.6.25.10-86.  This makes it hard to assess the significance of that transition.

They are ordered though so that you can start reading at the top and stop
when you get to the release you are upgrading from. The notes don't tell
you everything though. Some of those git syncs may include some important
stuff.

> Is there some place I can find a succinct summary and evaluation of the changes to the kernel?  I'd like something with large print and short words that simply indicates that the kernel change is or is not related to security, for instance, and should be or need not be applied immediately.

There is less clarity there than you might think. According to some people,
almost all of the recent kernel updates have had fixes that have security
implications. Whether or not those fixes are urgently needed in your specific
situtation is yet another matter.

I don't think you are going to find an outside source that is going to tell
you whether or not the cost of rebooting is higher than the cost of not
rebooting for most updates.