a long rebuttal to the Linux-is-the-engine fallacy

John Cornelius jc at hangarpilot.net
Fri Jul 25 22:07:20 UTC 2008

I fail to see the value of this line of discussion in this forum even
though the points are provocative to say the least.

While I could wax eloquently on either side of the argument and even
tilt a few windmills of my own I have the impression that the whole
point of the discussion is to have the last word. While this is not
particularly unexpected given the high strung nature of many of the
participants and the passion and insight that each has contributed to
the discussion one wonders if this has morphed into a discussion that is
wholly inappropriate for this list. If it has then perhaps there is a
mailing list to which it could be moved.

I cannot speak for anyone else but the whole point of my joining this
mail list was to have a way to resolve installation or operational
issues with Fedora and the packages that are distributed with Fedora. In
return I am obliged to help where I am able and on occasion I have done
so and all things considered it has been an illuminating and fulfilling
experience. The fact that some issues are rooted in Linux, some in
Fedora, some in GNU, and some in the host of other products is
immaterial to my participation in this list and, I suspect, irrelevant
to most of the issues presented and ultimately resolved on this list.

I'm sure that those participating in this discussion are enjoying it,
otherwise the discussion would not have continued for quite so long, but
in my belief it belongs elsewhere and I for one would appreciate it if
it went elsewhere. I'd like to know where it goes but I'm not sure I
would devote the same resources to that list as I do to this list.

Note that my opening thought was that I fail to see the _value_ of this
discussion in this forum not that there is no value in the discussion in
_some_ forum.

--jc