that old GNU/Linux argument

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 03:29:36 UTC 2008

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>> What do you mean "other than the Hurd"?
>
> I mean "except for the Hurd", "save for the Hurd", or however you'd
> like to phrase the act of taking a set with hundreds of elements, and
> applying the same predicate to all but one of them.

I don't mean the semantics, I mean philosophically.  Why would you
except the one thing that deserves to be called GNU from this discussion?

> Look at the list of packages at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu and you'll
> find out GNU is *far* more than the Hurd.  While trying to collect
> evidence to support your absurd statement, you'll find out that GNU is
> actually what makes up what you always mistook for Linux, and that
> Linux is indeed just a kernel, even if it happens to be more
> interesting and far more relevant than the Hurd.
>
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/, go figure.

And yet, there is still something that _IS_ the GNU project's OS, that
people can use if they want to use something named GNU.  But,
overwhelming they pick some other project instead.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com