DNS Attacks

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 26 15:15:35 UTC 2008

but if a bank employee is involved in the taking of funds, then there is
somewhat of a trail. if the employee where to "change" the root dns servers,
there would be some trail of this with the service that the bank uses for
this setup.. this would be pretty easy to resolve, and the customer would
have protection (although suffer a hassle) as the bank would back up the
funds that were stolen...

the issue of dns poisoning would also be resolved in a matter of time, but
unfortunately, there might be multiple customers who are impacted...

after thinking on this for awhile, the only thing that i can really think of
to make a site "safe" is for you the customer to get your behind into a
physical setup/location/building when you initially setup the online
account!!! and then you should only use sites that incorporate multi-pass
(two factor) security processes. (although this has it's own set of
issues!!)

for my own $0.02 worth, i find myself going to different parts of a site to
see if i get links that return me back to where i should be prior to
inserting my login information... but this implies that you know what a
site's structure should be!