Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 26 21:09:32 UTC 2008

> >> There is nothing to interpret.  If you don't
> like what
> >> the license
> >> actually says, why do you keep defending it?
> >
> > He might defend the good parts of the license :)
>
> I preferred not to respond to Les because he insists on
> putting words in
> my mouth.  In fact, I do like what the GPL actually says
> very much.
> That is why I not only defend it, but use it for my own
> software.
>
> In my opinion, *all* of the parts of the license are good.
>
> --

Gordon,

I respect your stance on the license issue.  In fact I would agree that most of the parts are good.  Many projects use the license which shows that it is not totally bad.  There are however certain restrictions and gotchas.  For instance in the Open Source Definitions

http://opensource.org/docs/osd

The GPL could violate 9)

9. License Must Not Restrict Other Software

The bad part is the one that hurts.  The one where you have to do ... in order to _____.  They take away your freedom as the sole author of a certain project.  They are in control and not you, they can dictate what needs to be done at any time.  This could be a potential downfall of it.

http://www.topology.org/linux/gpl.html

Regards,

Antonio