Export and Import Printer configuration

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 28 06:10:44 UTC 2008

TL:
> Okay, right now I don't see any printer on my laptop which is on the same LAN
> with the printer server. The printer server runs RHEL 4, and it's set to
> share its printer and allow anyone to use it. No firewall between these
> machine inside the LAN. Could it be because the print server runs older
> CUPS ?

I wouldn't expect that to be a problem.  I've put printers on Fedora
Core 4, and CentOS 4 & 5 servers (which are virtually the same as RHEL),
and the Fedora (7 to 9) clients all found those printers automatically.

What OS are your clients running, and can you post the server's and
client's /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and /etc/cups/printers.conf files?

Another thing that springs to mind is whether you're using any sort of
authentication or limits on the CUPS server.

> I have several printer at work which is accessible from the internet
> (HP Jet Direct). Suppose I have several machines at home that I want
> to configure so that I can print there, do I have to do it one at
> a time ?

You will need manual configuring to print to servers that aren't on the
same LAN.  Print server discovery only works on the same network.

NB:  I don't know whether it'll work when using a virtual private
network to join together two separate networks (e.g. work and home).
That might well depend on how you do it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.