mount windows share

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Mon Jul 28 19:07:50 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 28 July 2008 19:36:33 David Hláčik wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but this unfortunately did not solved my problem.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> David

>>> I'm not sure, but try installing 'samba' (without quotes).
>>>
>>> $ su -c 'yum install samba'
>>>

> Did you, as root, edit /etc/samba/smb.conf?
>
> It's well-commented, and much can be left as defaults - probably best to,
> unless you know what you are doing - but you must rename the workgroup to
> match the windows one.
>
> HTH
>
> Anne

I am rather amazed, I am not seeing the new 'documented' way of doing
this (I learned the hard way to command line it)

For a full mount:
mount -t cifs //yourwindows/share /mnt/windows_share
--or--
mount -t cifs //yourwindows/share /mnt/windows_share -ouser=joeuser

both work on mounting on most systems (I use that command to mount my
media files for playback on my PS3 so I can watch movies from my network
on my TV) and it works well...

Not as quick as a GUI option, but it works.

For mounting a linux share in Windows, that is where you would really
use the Samba Server, and get the joy of configuring shares in smb.conf.
All depends on what direction you want to go. Looking at the list
replies it looks like they are talking of mounting a share in Windows...

~Seann