that old GNU/Linux argument

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon Jul 28 19:25:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 01:41:36PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> But GNU utilities exist in *BSD camps as well, and the name GNU/*BSD is
>> not used or required.  A page explains that since Linux Distributions
>> are more popular than *BSD distributions, it makes much more sense to
>> attach to a more successful project.
>
> Not to the same extent.  The BSD's maintain their own versions of the c
> library and most userland tools so as to provide everyone with
> unrestricted copies in yet another waste of time and effort dictated by
> the GPL.

Actually, that's the BSD maintainers's choice, dictated by irrational hate[1]
of the GNU GPL.

[1] at least from some, extremely rude and hypocrit, folks.

Now, I join other calls to stop this endless discussion. Les Mikesell or
Antonio Olivares aren't worth it, Alex.

Rui

--
Umlaut Zebra über alles!
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 63rd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?