Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jul 28 23:08:52 UTC 2008

Gene,

First, no, you can't get a word in edgewise.  This list is solely for the
that small group of people that feel good about taking over a list an
turning into their own.  They have no concept of fairness and think that
everyone of us needs and wants to be "educated" and they will do it and
shove it down our eyes with no regard to our "rights".

> With the conversion to HDTV in our local market now underway, I need to be
> able to tell xine what channels there are.  Unforch, the
>
>  dvbscan -fx -o .xine/channels.conf
>
> doesn't regenerate the file with the new 8VSB signals that have come online in
> the last week.

Well, the only thing that I have found that *may* help is the following
statement....

"dvbscan does not do a full-spectrum frequency scan. To get information on
the available multiplexers, it reads this information from an existing
transport. So you have to feed it this information; happily, the source
distribution comes with a handy selection of transport settings for most of
the available transmitters.

To find a transport setting file, run dvbscan without parameters. It will
list all transport setting files and its run options. You should find your
transport setting in a directory with a name like
/usr/local/share/dvb/scan/dvb-c/ for cable, /usr/local/share/dvb/scan/dvb-s/
for satellite, or /usr/local/share/dvb/scan/dvb-t/ for terrestial TV. The
name gives the country and location; for example, au-Adelaide refers to
Adelaide, South Australia. To be sure, look at the beginning of the file,
which should look something like this: "

So, maybe you need to locate a proper dvb file?

> Does anyone know how to make that work, or, how to change channels in the xine
> front end?  I can't find a channel up/down function in its gui.

No...  Don't actually use xine for this purpose.