Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jul 29 04:02:41 UTC 2008

On Monday 28 July 2008, Ed Greshko wrote:
>Gene,
>
>First, no, you can't get a word in edgewise.  This list is solely for the
>that small group of people that feel good about taking over a list an
>turning into their own.  They have no concept of fairness and think that
>everyone of us needs and wants to be "educated" and they will do it and
>shove it down our eyes with no regard to our "rights".
>
>> With the conversion to HDTV in our local market now underway, I need to be
>> able to tell xine what channels there are.  Unforch, the
>>
>>  dvbscan -fx -o .xine/channels.conf
>>
>> doesn't regenerate the file with the new 8VSB signals that have come
>> online in the last week.
>
>Well, the only thing that I have found that *may* help is the following
>statement....
>
>"dvbscan does not do a full-spectrum frequency scan. To get information on
>the available multiplexers, it reads this information from an existing
>transport. So you have to feed it this information; happily, the source
>distribution comes with a handy selection of transport settings for most of
>the available transmitters.

It scans and reports the signal strength of the signals it finds, but the -o
<fname> option generates an empty file.

>To find a transport setting file, run dvbscan without parameters. It will
>list all transport setting files and its run options. You should find your
>transport setting in a directory with a name like
>/usr/local/share/dvb/scan/dvb-c/ for cable, /usr/local/share/dvb/scan/dvb-s/
>for satellite, or /usr/local/share/dvb/scan/dvb-t/ for terrestial TV. The
>name gives the country and location; for example, au-Adelaide refers to
>Adelaide, South Australia. To be sure, look at the beginning of the file,
>which should look something like this: "
>
>So, maybe you need to locate a proper dvb file?

I have almost all of those typified by au-Adelaide, but there are no us-*
files in any of the 5 or 6 copies of the "dvb-t/*" directories.
What I do have that seems related came from dvb-apps-1.1.1-f8, and it puts
those in /usr/share/dvb-apps/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB, and that
is the file I used to make scandvb work below.

I finally have scandvb from that package running, but the command line to do
it is nearly 200 chars long.  Thats nucking futs.  And it found the new
stations, but how in hell to you get it to write an xine compatible
~/.xine/channels.conf?

So I copied what it output to the screen when it was done, by copy/paste to
~/.xine/channels.conf, and wonder of wonders, I'm watching the Antique Road
Show in Hidef.

>> Does anyone know how to make that work, or, how to change channels in the
>> xine front end?  I can't find a channel up/down function in its gui.
>
>No...  Don't actually use xine for this purpose.

What do you use? xine works, but it sure is kludgy to change channels. A
minute or more with lots of false starts, specially for the hi-def
subchannel.

Thanks Ed, now if we could get this list back to its stated purpose.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)