change default language (localization)

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 09:07:08 UTC 2008

* Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> [20080729 10:48]:
> Anders Karlsson wrote:
>> * Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> [20080729 09:52]:

>>> To have Czech as the default language you can simply edit
>>> /etc/sysconfig/i18n to change it to cs_CZ.UTF-8.  The GUI for both
>>> KDE and GNOME would be then switched after a reboot.  Is that what
>>> you are after?
>>
>> He also wants the language packages required for
>> this. system-config-language appears to provide a facility to do this
>> (i.e. it tells me it's talking to yum to download the right packages)
>> but I've not yet been able to verify it does the right thing.
>>
>> I'm still testing to see if this is the way to go.
>
> That's good that you're doing that.  I just realized that was the second
> half of his question and I just was about to check it out since I
> realized I didn't know how to do it in F9. :-(  I tend to enable all
> languages at install.

Thanks. I'm not the devil in disguise as some would like to make me
out to be.

system-config-language is the way to go, and you can then pick your
language from the GDM screen. It does not install the language packs
for Open Office, KDE or some of the other bits however, so that
becomes a manual step as far as I can see.

I've flipped my system over in to swedish just to test this, and all
of Gnome plays ball anyway. :)

/Anders