Missing Hardwae option

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 29 15:59:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 23:52 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 10:04 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > What if you wanted to have totem process audio CDs or xine do DVDs.
> > How would you do that?
>
> I'm feeling a case of deja vu, I answered this about a week or so ago:
>
> From: 	Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
> To: 	For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Subject: 	Re: Fedora9 DVD autoplay
> Date: 	Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:35:59 +0930
>

> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 08:43 +0200, Federico Marziali wrote:
> >> he problem is that, within this window, you can choose
> >> which programs to use for autoplay *only* from a predefined list. For
> >> instance for Audio CD I can choose between Totem, Rhythmbox, Do
> >> Nothing, and Open Folder.
> >> There is no "Custom" "Use-your-command-here" or other, which is very
> >> strange (a bug???). Now, I can't possibly believe that this list of 4
> >> choices is hard coded (can it be? o_O), but I could not find where is
> >> the corresponding configuration file.
>
> > I added some information to this file, and they were added to the
> > drop-down list:
> >
> >   ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
> >
> > The file also appears to list entries for files that I've right-clicked,
> > and added to the open-with list in the file properties.
> >
> > Some programs add themselves to the list of options, like VLC adds
> > itself in the appropriate places.  But not all multi-media applications
> > add themselves to the list.
> >
> > How did I find the right file?  Changed some preferences, then went
> > looking for a configuration file that had a very recent modification
> > date.

You are obviously on to something but I am not sure how to use this
information.
My file contains:[Added Associations]
x-content/audio-cdda=rhythmbox.desktop;
x-content/video-dvd=livna-vlc.desktop;

What would I add to allow totem be chosen to play CDs?

The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in the
morning feeling just terrible. -- Jean Kerr
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net