unable to enumerate USB device

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 29 17:04:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 11:37 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> I am getting strange messages in the logs:

Just the once, when you boot up?

> hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 5
> hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 6
> hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4
>
> Everything works fine, but I would like to know what causes them.
> According to what I found on Google, I can safely ignore them.

If it's only as you boot up, you can probably ignore them.  I get the
same, and it's my computer not working out what to do with the mouse,
keyboard, & built-in trackpad, etc., as it boots.  Yet they all work
fine a bit later on.

Fedora 9 seems a bit flighty with devices.  They don't just get
discovered and work, it gets in a tizzy about things not working the
instant it notices them, then they work a few more moments later.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.