using mock like debootstrap

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Jul 29 19:04:59 UTC 2008

Christoph Höger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for a deployment of virtual machines I need a complete root tree.
> To get it I use mock --init --root=fedora-9-i386 (or any other release)
>
> That works a little like debootstrap.
>
> But what do I need to get my machine _really_ working (I already
> installed yum, sshd and some tools)?
> For example I am missing /etc/shadow and cannot use passwd to set up a
> root password.
>
> So is there some kind of base packages list?
>
> regards
>
> Christoph

I believe that this is what:
    system-config-netboot.noarch
does.

Diskless clients need the same base as VM clients, especially if you
want to run a minimal install for each VM client.

Recently, my son worked on a completely automated VM install that
customers can do over the web, with live status.  Pretty cool stuff, and
he started here, with system-config-netboot.noarch.

Good luck!