Can NTFS r/w support be built into the initrd?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 21:09:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 14:56 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> I'm trying to get to some files on an NTFS partition at boot time and
>> tried searching all over google with very limited success. It seems
>> the ntfs.ko module does not support read/write well and the ntfs-3g
>> module uses fuse.
>
> The only reason you should need to have this in the initrd is if you're
> booting / off ntfs-3g, which I would strongly discourage. Can you
> explain exactly why you need this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~spot (ntfs-3g Fedora maintainer)

I'm using the livecd-iso-to-disk to make a bootable USB thumb drive
for a laptop where I don't want to alter the drive partitioning. I've
got a 1GB overlay on it but trying to update F9 from the iso to
current pretty much max's it out. I have created a 4GB overlay file on
the HD but it is a NTFS partition.

I updated the syslinux.cfg to get it to find the overlay file on the
HD and it attempted it (I changed out the overlay= command to use the
HD label and UUID) but it complained that it didn't understand the
filesystem type. Since I can access the HD once I boot I assume I need
NTFS support in the initrd.

Thanks,
Richard