print request completed but no printer output

Simon Slater pyevet at aapt.net.au
Wed Jul 30 04:20:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 21:07 -0700, Francisco Corella wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use a USB printer with Fedora 8.  When I
> plugged in the printer to the computer, Gnome
> correctly identified the printer as a Brother
> MFC-665CW and found a driver for it.  I sent several
> print requests using Firefox, and also using the
> commands lp and lpr.  All print jobs were successfully
> completed according to lpstat, and according to
> /var/log/cups/error_log.  But there was no printer
> output.  The printer is working fine when plugged in
> to a Mac.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Francisco

I have the same model.  A good place to start is here:
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html  You need to go to
different pages to get the drivers for printer, scan and fax.

>From memory I had to install the brother drivers first, but hal still
created an entry in the printer list itself (a thread last year
discussed this).  Take care to follow the correct sequence ( lpd driver
before cups driver) and all should go well.  A current thread discusses
how to handle any SELinux denials.

	Printing is working fine for me, faxes fine, scans as root but am
working on getting it for users, works USB or network but haven't tried
wireless yet.

--
Hooroo,
Simon