Curious characters in Thunderbird on Linux...

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jul 30 22:53:15 UTC 2008

Kevin Martin wrote:
> I get strange characters in some emails that I receive in Thunderbird on
> F8.  Things like (I hope this comes thru):
>
> *Uptown Theatre buyer calls city requirements ‘onerous’*
> <http://e.ccialerts.com/a/hBIkMy4AFS8nrB7Q2vpAUpPTuv5/ccb37>
>
> and
>
> Version:Â Â Â  [GA
>
> Any idea why I would be seeing this?  Apparently, when I send the
> recipient's see strange characters such as these as well.  Is it an
> encoding issue, d'ya think?

Yes, it is character encoding.

If the message is sent using UTF-8 as the encoding and you force it to
display as ISO-8859-1 you will indeed get what you show above.

Also, if a message is sent using "onerous" (with the punctuation mark used
in the article) as iso-8859-1 you will see what you show.  In that case, you
can force UTF-8 as the charset and it will display properly.