howto: write a init script

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Jul 31 12:56:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 02:31:06PM +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 31.07.2008, 13:19 +0100 schrieb Chris G:
> > On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 02:05:39PM +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > is there some documentation out there about how to write a init script
> > > for fedora9 for a given binary?
> > > Maybe even a "insert your binary here"-tempate?
> > >
> > Most "binaries" (if by that you mean executable programs) don't really
> > need an "init script", they just run.  Enter the executable name on
> > the command line and the program springs into life.
> >
> > Or am I musinderstanding you completely?  :-)
> >
> > --
> > Chris Green
> >

> Yes, you do ;) , I need the binary to start when the machine boots up.

In that case you just add the line to run it (i.e. the name of the
executable, possibly with its full path) to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
That's exactly what rc.local is for.

If you want the whole 'start x' 'stop x' thing then just copy one of
the existing init scripts (as suggested by someone else).

--
Chris Green