howto: write a init script

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Thu Jul 31 13:56:15 UTC 2008

> Why don't you start with one in /etc/init.d and modify to you needs?

I've done that myself a couple of times, and I can never seem to
get it to act exactly like the script I started with. It always
seems to echo an extra blank line or the [status] doesn't come out
at the end of the line or with the right color or something else
looks screwy and non-compatible with the output it generates.

I'd be very curious to see some documentation for init script
conventions to follow to get all these nit-picky details to
come out right.