Fedora 9, installed, but no desktop

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 17:10:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:52 AM, whoosh <whoosh777 at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>Which I suspect means he did the install in text mode,
>
> I had to as the graphical install has bugs,

There in is the cause. Once you install in text-mode, it assumes that
you had a good reason for doing so and so doesn't default to graphical
mode after install. To permanently make it boot into graphical mode:

1. log into the console as root
2. using a console text editor such as 'nano' or 'vi' open the
'/etc/inittab' file for eiditng
    eg. nano /etc/inittab
    eg. vi /etc/inittab
3. change the line with 'id:3:initdefault:' to say 'id:5:initdefault:'
(note the change from 3 to 5)
4. save the file

This will take effect on your next bootup.

( www.pembo13.com )