vim syntax highlight F9 -- Solved(?)

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Jul 31 17:36:31 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 14:05 +0100, Marcelo M. Garcia wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I don't if this a solution or not, I don't think so, but here it goes:
>> have to call with "vim" not "vi".
>>
>> I think I have to disable a kind of "compatibility" mode of vim/vi.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> In my default f9 installation vi is an alias for vim. Run: alias
> and see.

Note that the alias is NOT set for the root user.  "vi" as the root user
will run /bin/vi (which is vim-minimal).  Regular vim is in
/usr/bin/vim.

This split is because you probably need vi (or some editor) when running
in single-user mode where /usr isn't mounted (and /usr/bin/vim isn't
available), and vim-minimal is roughly 1/3 the size of vim.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-            I'm afraid my karma just ran over your dogma            -